Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Bali 2013 - Puri Saraswati

Puri Saraswati is not a hotel I would have considered if I were choosing on my own.  It is located on Jalan Raya Ubud, right next to the Lotus Cafe, and is owned by the royal family.  The reasons I would not have chosen it are location and cost.  We ended up here because all of the properties we are familiar with were full, and it was recommended by our travel agent.  I can't address the cost of this hotel because a five-night stay was included with our airfare.  As for location, if we didn't have to book a hotel along with our flight, we would have a very limited option on accommodations in the Ubud area because we would never stay on Main Road or on Monkey Forest, both of which we have now done.


Puri Saraswati is a lovely little oasis right on the main road.  The staff is friendly and attentive, and there is a great breakfast included with the room.  Breakfast includes a fruit salad and toast with butter and jam, your choice of juice, coffee or tea, egg, and French toast or banana pancake.  My favorite juice was watermelon.  The first morning I got my egg fried, but it looked more like poached, with the yolk and part of the white still runny.  I stuck with the omelet after that, which was always good.  It has tomatoes and onion, and came seasoned and cooked perfectly.  The banana pancake I ordered had pineapple instead of banana inside, so I tried the French toast the next morning, and it was great.  My only complaint about the service is that when Ibu and I both ordered omelet, they brought them together on one plate.  Everything else was served individually.

The rooms here are clean and comfortable.  My bed had a firm mattress - Jake claimed it was too hard, but nobody else complained - and two big fluffy pillows.  The rooms are air conditioned and have refrigerators.  Our bathrooms had huge deep bathtubs, and the shower head was placed high enough to stand under it to wash your hair, although I think they might be too short for anyone much taller than 5'6" or so.  Thick towels are provided and changed each day.  We had tea served on our veranda one afternoon, and found upon checkout that there was no extra charge.  I'm not sure if this was something they regularly offer, or if we just lucked out.

Attached to the hotel grounds is a family temple, which I recommend visiting while you're here.  Just remember to dress appropriately!  Dance performances are held in front of the temple each night from about 7:00 or 7:30 until just before 9:00.  Tickets are offered for sale along the sidewalk during the day.  Choose a ticket seller you like the looks of and buy from them.  The tickets should all be the same price, but each seller gets a small commission from the tickets they sell.  We didn't attend any of these performances on this trip, but I enjoyed hearing the music while I sat out on the veranda.

There is also a nice pool, but none of us used it while we were here.  They do not have a restaurant; lunch and dinner can be gotten next door at Lotus Cafe or at any of the many other nearby restaurants.

In the end, I found that I loved the location, although my Bali home will always be in the rice fields.

More photos can be found here.

No comments: