Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bali 2008 - December 3

This is our lazy day, when we will stay home and chill. HA! First we went to Sari Bamboo for breakfast, then we walked down the road to look at beaded bags. Along the way, we passed a beauty parlor where a girl was standing out front trying to drum up customers. I asked about a pedicure and was told they were too busy (1 customer in shop), and could I come back at 1:00? Sure, no problem. On to the bead shop.

In the shop, we were impressed with the quality and variety of designs, so I chose a small item and asked how much.
"75,000."
"Business price?"
"Yah, OK, 10% discount."
Well, I had already purchased a similar item for 1/3 the price, and the rule of thumb for bargaining is not to go below 1/2 the starting price, so we left the shop. Coming back up the road, we stopped at the shop where I had purchased the item cheaper. "Any more like this?" I asked. Wait one moment.
Out the door she went. After a few moments, I looked out in the direction she had gone, just in time to see her coming out of the shop we had just come from. Sure enough, in she walks with handfuls of the items I had just been told I could buy for 67,500. She brought them in and spread them out. How much? 25,000. I bought them all.

At 1:00, Macaela and I went back to the beauty parlor for my pedicure.
"Sorry, we're too busy right now (no visible customers), maybe 2:00?"
"No, I have an appointment for 1:00."
"Maybe tomorrow?"
Nope, I think not. There's too much competition for that kind of runaround.

Heading back to the bungalow, we found another salon that was not busy at all. We each got a pedicure, complete with exfoliating scrub and massage of the feet and lower legs for 50,000 (less than $5) each. We were happy and another Balinese made a bit of money.


In the end, the kids did get homework done and we did get work done, but we sure were busy for a lazy day.

No comments: